Youth Ensemble Auditions
June 3, 4 and 5, 2013 from 4-7:30pm
September 7, 2013 from 9am to 12:00 noon
Auditions are required for youth ensembles. Students are placed according to their musical level and advance as their skill improves. Students must also be members of their school band or orchestra. Adult ensembles, Grand Band and Adult String Orchestra, do not require an audition.
What happens at the placement audition?
All students are asked to:
1. Play a prepared solo of their choice that demonstrates technique and can be performed confidently. (memorization and accompanist not required)
2. Sight read an assigned selection. (student will be given one minute to review)
3. Play scales as indicated below:
SINFONIA: Students should be comfortable playing in the major keys of G, C and D.
- Violin – 1 octave in G, D and C and 2 octaves in G.
- Viola and Cello – 1 octave in G, D, and C and 2 octaves in C.
- Bass – 1st and 3rd positions in G, D and C.
CONCERT ORCHESTRA: Students should be comfortable playing in the major keys of G, C, D, A, F and Bb.
- Violin – 2 octaves in all keys except F.
- Viola and Cello – 2 octaves in G, D, C and F.
- Bass – scales up to the octave harmonic on the G-string.
PHILHARMONIC: Students may be asked to play C, G, D, A, F, B-flat and E-flat major scales.
- String players should play 2 or 3 octave (preferred) scales
- Wind players may play 1 or 2 octaves and a chromatic scale.
- Bowings or articulations are at the discretion of the player.
CONCERT BAND: concert keys of C, F, Bb, Eb, Ab, and a chromatic scale the full range of their instrument.
FOR MORE INFORMATION